There is a big demand for general, non-medical transcription. Many non-medical audio and video files need to be converted to text files for referencing, archiving, and for search engine indexing and optimization.
There is no formal training required for general transcription.
Although formal transcription training and courses are usually needed to get medical transcription and legal transcription work, you do NOT need formal training and you do NOT need to enroll in a $1,500-$3,000 transcription course to be able to get general transcription work from home .
You can learn general transcription yourself.
You can use online resources (many are free) and transcription practice files to practice your typing, transcription and listening skills and improve your grammar and spelling. For example, to become familiar with financial terms, you can read financial books or business magazines like Business Week. You can also listen to financial TV channels like MSBNBC or Bloomberg. To become familiar with insurance terms, you can go to web sites of insurance companies.
Expand your vocabulary and general knowledge.
You can improve your vocabulary about a specific industry by reading their web sites, online and off-line articles and industry newsletters.
Increase your typing speed with typing tutorials
All types of transcription work require speed and accuracy. A transcriptionist must be fast to earn a good living.
Your typing speed and transcription speed will improve with practice. The more you type and transcribe, the faster you’ll get. Your transcription speed will keep increasing gradually until you reach your ideal speed.
Because typing speed is important for transcription work, you can start by practicing typing without dictation. You can use online typing tutorials and typing tests to improve your typing speed and accuracy. You can get your typing speed stats from those sites.
Accuracy is important so focus on typing as quickly as possible without errors. A transcriptionist must be accurate even when working on non-medical and non-legal transcription jobs. Choose a typing tutorial that will provide you with stats that will show your accuracy and speed. When you have improved your typing speed, then try typing with dictation.
To become both accurate and fast, you must practice transcription. But how do you do that?
Increase your transcription speed by practicing transcription
One way to train for general transcription is by transcribing anything you hear. Transcribing regularly will help you build speed and acquire an ear for transcription work. Practicing transcription will also help you become familiar with using transcription software and a foot pedal.
New transcriptionists are often looking for audio files to practice transcribing. There are many ways to practice transcription.
- You can transcribe your own voicemail and answering machine messages and Skype recordings. You can record and transcribe conversations, television interviews and radio interviews.
- You can find different types of audio files you can practice with at many web sites.
- You can download and transcribe online seminars, teleseminars and podcasts from the public domain.
- You can download podcasts from podcast.com to practice transcription and get familiar with different kinds of accents.
- The NCH website provides sample audio files you can use with the popular free Express Scribe transcription playback software. They even include transcribed documents to check your finished transcription against. The NCH sample audio files are legal and medical transcription files but you can use them just as well to practice general transcription. Just don’t worry about the legal and medical terms.You can download practice transcription files and free Express Scribe transcription software at http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/practice.html.
- Using transcription practice files is one of the best ways to practice transcription and build speed. Several websites provide practice transcription files you can use to practice transcribing. You can find practice files to practice general and business transcription http://www.generaltranscriptionworkfromhome.com/practice-files/
You can prepare yourself to become a general and business transcriptionist by practicing transcription. All it takes is the right tools, equipment, software, right mindset and the desire to work on your skills.
Install transcription software and get transcription equipment.
If you plan on becoming a professional transcriptionist, install transcription software and invest in a transcription foot pedal and a headset.
Before doing a transcription test and applying for your first transcription job, make sure to install transcription software and practice transcribing anything you hear and make sure that your transcription skills are up to speed.
How to get general transcription work from home without knowing medical terminology and without specialized training. Get my free report, How to Avoid Transcription Scams. Visit http://GeneralTranscriptionWorkfromHome.com
Resources to learn transcription
- How to learn general transcription and business transcription.
- Practice general transcription and business transcription practice files.
- Get a ready-to-go transcription website to promote your transcription services.
- How to become a faster transcriptionist.