There is a big demand for general, non-medical transcription. Many non-medical audio and video files need to be converted to text files for referencing, archiving, and for search engine indexing and optimization.
There is no formal training required for general transcription.
Although formal transcription training and courses are usually needed to get medical transcription and legal transcription work, you do NOT need formal training and you do NOT need to enroll in a $1,500-$3,000 transcription course to be able to get general transcription work from home .
You can learn general transcription yourself.
You can use online resources and tutorials (many are free) such as typing and grammar tutorials to help you improve your skills. You can practice transcription with transcription practice files to improve your transcription and listening skills and increase your speed.
1. Computer knowledge
You need to have some basic computer skills, know how to use a word processing program and how to download files. You can go to community classes, take online classes or even watch YouTube videos to improve those skills.
2. Improve your grammar skills
You need to be proficient in grammar and spelling. If you need to brush up on your grammar, take a course from your local community college or take an online grammar course.
3. Expand your vocabulary and general knowledge
You can improve your vocabulary about a specific industry by visiting their web sites and reading online and off-line articles and industry newsletters.
For example, to become familiar with financial terms, you can read financial books or business magazines like Business Week. You can also listen to financial TV channels like MSBNBC or Bloomberg. To become familiar with insurance terms, you can go to web sites of insurance companies.
4. Increase your typing speed with typing tutorials
All types of transcription work require speed and accuracy. A transcriptionist must be fast to earn a good living.
Your typing speed and transcription speed will improve with practice. The more you type and transcribe, the faster you’ll get.
You can start by practicing typing without dictation. You can use online typing tutorials and typing tests to improve your typing speed and accuracy. You can get your typing speed stats from those sites.
Accuracy is important so focus on typing as quickly as possible without errors. A transcriptionist must be accurate even when working on non-medical and non-legal transcription jobs. Choose a typing tutorial that will provide you with stats that will show your accuracy and speed. When you have improved your typing speed, then try typing with dictation.
5. Set up transcription software and equipment
Install transcription software like Express Scribe and become familiar with it. Express Scribe is a popular free transcription software. See a video on how it works here.
Although you can do transcription without a foot pedal and headset, if you plan on becoming a professional transcriptionist, investing in a foot pedal will increase your transcription speed instantly and make your work easier. A noise-canceling headset will help you hear the recording better and improve accuracy.
To become both accurate and fast, you must practice transcription. But how do you do that?
6. Increase your transcription speed by practicing transcription
One way to train for general transcription is by transcribing anything you hear. Transcribing regularly will help you build speed and acquire an ear for transcription work. Practicing transcription will also help you become familiar with using transcription software and a foot pedal. Your transcription speed will keep increasing gradually until you reach your ideal speed.
New transcriptionists are often looking for audio files to practice transcribing. There are many ways to practice transcription.
- Transcribe your own voicemail, answering machine messages and Skype recordings.
- Record and transcribe conversations, television interviews and radio interviews.
- Find different types of audio files you can practice with at many web sites.
- Download and transcribe online seminars, teleseminars and podcasts from the public domain.
- Download podcasts from podcast.com to practice transcription and get familiar with different kinds of accents.
- The NCH website provides sample audio files you can use with the popular free Express Scribe transcription playback software. They even include transcribed documents to check your finished transcription against. The NCH sample audio files are legal and medical transcription files but you can use them to practice general transcription too. Just don’t worry about the legal and medical terms. You can download practice transcription files and free Express Scribe transcription software at http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/practice.html.
Using transcription practice files is one of the best ways to practice transcription and build speed. Several websites provide practice transcription files you can use to practice transcribing.You can find practice files to practice general and business transcription http://www.generaltranscriptionworkfromhome.com/practice-files/
Before doing a transcription test and applying for your first transcription job, install transcription software, practice transcribing and make sure that your transcription skills are up to speed.
You can prepare yourself to become a general and business transcriptionist by practicing transcription. All it takes is the right tools, equipment, software, right mindset and the desire to work on your skills.
How to get general transcription work from home without knowing medical terminology and without specialized training. Get my free report, How to Avoid Transcription Scams. Visit http://GeneralTranscriptionWorkfromHome.com
7. Get Insider information on transcription industry standards
You’ll need to know about transcription formats, styles, standards and conventions. How to format transcripts, how to use verbatim, semi-verbatim and edited transcription. What to transcribe and omit. You can get this information by reading specialized books and using general transcription practice files. One such book is The General Transcription Business-In-A-Box.
Resources to learn transcription
- Practice general transcription and business transcription practice files.
- Get a ready-to-go transcription website to promote your transcription services.
- How to become a faster transcriptionist.
- See a video on how Express Scribe works.