Recommended Transcription Equipment
You have many options available to get started with digital transcription and choosing digital transcription foot pedals.
- If can’t afford buying a foot pedal, you can start with free software and use the controls in the software.
- I highly recommend getting a foot pedal. A foot pedal will instantly increase your transcription speed by controlling the playback with your feet, leaving your fingers free to type.
Buying a foot pedal separately and using free software (like the free version of Express Scribe) is the cheapest option to get started. But if you plan on becoming a professional transcriptionist, you’ll eventually want to upgrade to professional software.
Buying a bundle (foot pedal and software combination) is your most economical option to get professional software and a foot pedal.
- You can buy a bundle that includes a digital foot pedal and professional transcription software. Some bundles include headsets. Professional software supports more audio formats than free software. The big advantage of getting a bundle is that you are sure that the software will work with the foot pedal.
- When purchasing a foot pedal for digital transcription separately make sure that it is compatible with the transcription software you are using or plan to use. Check the description and contact the vendor if you’re not sure.
*****Express Scribe Transcription Bundle: Pedal, Professional Software and Headset (Same as above with headset) (Choose this one if you don’t have a headset)
FOOT PEDAL ONLY
When buying a foot pedal, it doesn’t come with any software (unless you buy a bundle). When getting a bundle you’re guaranteed that the foot pedal will work with the software it comes with.
The Infinity USB pedal will work with the paid version of Express Scribe but may not work with the free version of Express Scribe.
The Inifiniti IN_USB-2 foot pedal is compatible with the FTW Transcriber according to the FTW website.
Some IN-USB-2 foot pedals ARE compatible with the FREE version of Express Scribe while others ARE NOT. So, always check to make sure. (NCH says on their website that the AltoEdge foot pedal is the only foot pedal that is guaranteed to work with the free version of Express Scribe).
- The VEC In-USB-2 foot pedals are NOT working with the FREE Express Scribe but will work with the professional version.
- All Infinity IN-USB-2 pedals will work with the professional/paid version of Express Scribe.
- The free version of Express scribe will work with AltoEdge foot pedals.
The AltoEdge foot pedal is the only foot pedal that is guaranteed to work with both the free and PRO versions of Express Scribe. See a link below to an AltoEdge foot pedal.
AltoEdge Transcription Foot Pedal Bundle
NCH sometimes has specials discounts as low as $39.95.
MORE ADVANCED SYSTEM
Start Stop Transcription Kit
Start Stop starts at $189 for their basic system (ans is offered sometimes for $169 on sale). Start / Stop is popular digital transcription software created by HTH Engineering. It’s a complete transcription system that includes the foot pedal and headset. This may come as a kit or just the foot pedal. Check the vendor’s description. The software features many products that a beginning transcriptionist doesn’t need when getting started, but you may want to upgrade to Start / Stop Universal in the future to take advantage of those features.
- You can work on projects with a team of transcriptionists or having clients call in their dictation.
- They also offer an option for DVD / video transcription.
As your business grows beyond the work you can do yourself you may want to consider using Start / Stop. Their software can play virtually any type of audio, not just mp3 or .wav files. With Express Scribe, you have to download a Codec in order to get the audio to play. You don’t have to download or update anything with Start/Stop. If a client uses an Olympus recorder that records in a .dss format, Start / Stop will play it. This is a great system you don’t need it if you’re just starting out.
Start-Stop Universal Transcription System & Start-Stop Audio/Video/DVD Transcription System
Olympus AS-2400 Transcription Kits
Excellent traditional transcriber that works with most Olympus digital recorders. Check compatibility with the vendor before purchasing. The pedal is somewhat small.
- Compatible with DS, WS, VN-3200PC and VN-5200PC recorders from Olympus
- Includes RS-27 foot switch, headset and software
- Manage DSS, DSS Pro, WMA, MP3 and WAV/AIFF audio files
- Automatically download files when the recorder is connected to PC
- Edit files, add/remove index, add comments or change the priority setting
Olympus R-27 Foot Pedal (will work with FTW)
The FTW Transcriber website states that the FTW Transcriber is compatible with the Infinity USB pedal and Olympus RS-27 and RS-28.